Tuesday, July 22, 2014

You Mean I Have to be Consistent

The message of consistent effort has been flowing through me the past few weeks.

Why is it the most challenging parenting moments come at my weakest times. On the night before leaving for two weeks of camp and a vacation for my husband and I: checking lists, packing, house sitter set up, pets watered, mail held. My child decides it's time to complete a deadline, at the LAST POSSIBLE minute. Her tear filled cry explaining now this was something she has dreamed of since she was two, caused me to hide in my bathroom. Drop a brick on my head please. It would hurt less than my OCD exhausted self. 

Ealier in the week I escaped the kids and tried to reclaim my compromised fitness routine and go for a short 4 mile run in the neighborhood. I was hit with Texas July heat and 98% humidity, defeated....walking. This is a one of my vision board for fitness. 

I know weight is not the only measure of healthy, but I use it to keep me inside some boundaries.  At one point in my life I didn't have any boundaries and ended up in a place I didn't want to be. So I tap the scale awake and step on it. It tells me it's time to change what I am putting into my pie hole, uh, mouth. 

A shiny piece of tensel drew my attention away July 1st when my company announced that I could earn a 7 night cruise to the Carribean. It was like a squirrel jumped into my office and I started to chase it. 

I willed myself out of the bathroom to talk to my daughter. My words were of love, encouragement and highlighting all her success and talents. Then what flowed thru me have replayed in my heart and mind. 

We can not achieve our goals and succes with last minute Hail Mary efforts. What we desire is a result of small daily efforts repeated. Not one great movement. Small. Daily. Consistent. We can increase our strength lifting a 10 pound weight a few times daily, but will not gain strengh heaving a 50 pound weight once a week. Small. Daily. Consistent. 

The hundreds I have lead thru the Arbonne 28 Day Clean Eating Challenge learn this principal. With a plan and daily effort they reclaim their health and healthy eating habits. What I learned from them is that you can mess up and get back on track with small daily consistent effort. You can start anywhere, wherever you are in your healthy journey, and start moving towards your goal.

Don't be fooled that you can cheat and get lazy in your effort and still reach your dreams and goals. Lysa Terkeurst wrote in Made to Crave, that "compromise built on compromise leads to failure." 

Wherever you are in your journey towards a goal or dream, keep going. Daily. "And let us not grow weary of going good, for in due season, we will reap, if we DO NOT GIVE UP." Galatians 6:9. 

One stretch, jog, meal, phone call, book, nap, hug, prayer at a time (repeated) and I will achieve my goals and dreams. 

I pray she doesn't give up on her dream as much as I pray she learns the lesson of consistent effort.







1 comment:

  1. Way to encourage; it was good to meet you! Thanks for the healthy guacamole.
    1 Thessalonians 5:11Amplified Bible (AMP)
    11 Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another, just as you are doing.
    Amplified Bible (AMP) www.revolutionoflove.org

    ReplyDelete