Wednesday, August 9, 2017

You got to work hard constantly to be successful

We all create stories in our heads.
Untruths that block us.
Stories that bubble wrap our fear and protect us from it.
Some are 5 seconds long.
Other stories we have been writing and editing for years.


One of my long stories is that I need to struggle, exert great effort, be busy, etc. to be successful.

During meditation one morning, my minds eye envisioned a fish caught on a  line with a hook in it's mouth. It was thrashing, twisting, pulling, fighting. The harder it fought and resisted the line and hook, the more worn out it was and the the firmer the hook got set.

Somewhere along the way I adopted the story that to gain success, I had to struggle and work hard constantly. My efforts alone, even if completely in the wrong vein, would propel me and deem me worthy in society's eyes. Successful! WORK HARD, I heard.

Something I missed was the beautiful life around me. The living water flowing (to keep up the fish analogy.)  Filling my gills with life. Once I relax, the waters settle and I see clearly that all the things I wanted are here in my life. Be still and enjoy, eventually the hook will dissolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment