Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Catch of the Day

Cioppino is a fish stew typically made from the catch of the day.

This recipe came from a cook book my mother-in-law gave me from her trip to Alaska.  I'll post the ISBN number at the end so you can order it if you want.

I love this dish. It is so simple and easy. I usually make it around special days....like Christmas. 

The leftovers in my fridge are going to be amazing for lunch.



1 - 1/2 lbs halibut (I used a cheaper cod), but into large bite size pieces
20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Dungeness Crab, Disjointed. (I just got 2 crab leg clusters)
10 clams or mussels in shells
3 bay bay leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 bunches green onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans Mexican style tomatoes
1 can tomato, puree (I used sauce)
1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock to make it cleaner.
3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste.

Look for Wild Caught fish. Organic canned tomatoes (tomatoes are on the dirty list). Organic Pepper.

Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add onions, green onions, peppers and bay leaves. Saute until onions are transparent. Add garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes more. Add tomatoes, tomato puree and white wine/chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add a little water if necessary. Add salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves. Add clams or mussels and crab. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add shrimp and fish and simmer until fish is just cooked through. Stir in chopped basil. Serve immediately. Yield 6 servings.

I added some quinoa on the side.

The cookbook is called Alaskan Cooking ISBN 1-56944-108-1


No comments:

Post a Comment